The technology behind every payment choice
Bango approaches sustainability and social responsibility from a pragmatic standpoint. The Bango ESG focus is not viewed as a separate exercise to be “completed”, but as a core part of the Bango strategy, integrated into work life and management processes. Through this integrated approach, Bango ensures every area of the business delivers sustainable benefits for our customers, employees, and investors. Read more about our approach to sustainability in the Bango 2023 Sustainability Report here.
The two major areas of focus for Bango’s sustainability plans are:
Protecting the Environment
- Bango takes actions to reduce the environmental impact of our business as an integral part of our business strategy and operating processes.
- The key focus areas for environmental sustainability are; obtaining an SBTi validated target, continued measurement and reduction, engaging our people and achieving Net Zero by 2040. More information on each of these areas can be found in the 2023 Bango sustainability Report here.
- Bango submitted its commitment letter to become Net Zero by 2040 to the Science-Based Targets initiative on 09 November 2022. Bango is currently developing its transition pathway and will be submitting its targets to the SBTi in 2024 for verification before publishing.
- Bango has been certified as a carbon-neutral business for scope 1, 2 & 3 emissions since 2020. This is an important milestone that many of the largest technology companies have yet to obtain but we are keen to do more. For any emissions that were unable to be eliminated during the period, Bango has invested to offset. Investments include Direct Air Capture Technology and Carbon Credits to support biodiversity, conservation & restoration projects. For detail on the carbon neutral certification, please see the PAS 2060 Qualifying Explanatory Statement, found here.
- As a software platform provider, power required for data centers is a significant contributor to Bango’s environmental footprint. Bango limits the impact in various ways, for example, all Bango data centers source 100% of their energy from renewable sources and Bango ensures all equipment is recycled rather than being disposed of.
- As a digital business much of Bango is already paperless. When paper is required, employees limit the environmental impact by using only recycled and recyclable paper products.
- Bango recognizes the impact of travel on the environment and has taken actions to reduce the impact, such as: finding alternatives to work-related travel, promoting and encouraging the use of public transport where possible and offering employees a cycle-to-work scheme and an electric car leasing program.
- In the workplace, Bango provides training to ensure staff can take into account their individual environment impact. Bango reduces the need for disposable products in our workspaces and sources recycled items wherever possible.
For more information, please read our environmental policy.
- Bango is committed to high standards in the field of Corporate Social Responsibility and recognizes that, in doing so, we will create significant value for all stakeholders and a rewarding environment for our employees.
- Bango social sustainability is built around creating a positive environment for its people. For more information, see the Bango Sustainability Report here.
- The Bango THRIVE values – transparent, happy, reliable, innovative, victorious and expressive – set high standards for everyone at Bango. They are fundamental to why Bango is such a special place to work and are values that everyone across the business commits to.
- Each year Bango conducts an employee engagement survey to measure how the company lives up to these high standards. Feedback given is used to produce an engagement survey action list so that we can continue to improve. The success of this is shown with the current engagement score of 83% for 2022, which increased on an already high score of 82% achieved in 2021.
- Bango believes that equality, diversity and inclusion are three vital ingredients for a thriving, vibrant company. Bango aims to make the most of the collective talents of its staff by promoting diversity as a key objective and benefit to the business. Bango employees are encouraged to visit and work from regional offices, to better understand the workplace and social cultures of the countries from which we operate. With people from 34 different countries Bango benefits from different backgrounds, perspectives, and talents. Currently, the Bango employee base is 71:29 male:female, the leadership team is 60:40 male:female and the Board is 67:33 male:non-male.
- In 2022, Bango conducted its first D&I survey and used the findings as a basis to develop a 6-pillar action plan. The pillars cover; awareness & understanding, policies & procedures, recruitment, how we lead, events and impact on the community. Each of these pillars has an executive team sponsor, action group lead and team members from across the organisation.
- Bango continues to invest in improving training, mentoring and awareness internally, as well as in projects externally in the community.
- Bango employees are encouraged to bring their social interests to the company and undertake activities that support community projects. Bango co-funds these initiatives. In addition, rather than select one charity, Bango matches money raised by employees for charity. In 2022, Bango supported >20 charitable causes.
For more information, please read our social policy.